Kirath Ghundoo is a surface pattern and wallpaper designer based in County Durham. She is renowned for her geometric wallpaper designs which are instantly recognisable from the enticing blocks of colour and which add a bold statement to any interior space.
Kirath launched her first wallpaper collection ‘Mix ‘n’ Match 11’ at 100% Design, London in September 2011 and since then has become a favourite of the design and interiors press both in the UK and internationally, with Living etc labelling her as "the queen of pretty geometrics."
Her current wallpaper collections can also be adapted for bespoke wallpaper commissions for any interior space both residential and commercial and her surface pattern designs have been applied to a number of different lifestyle and commercial projects including magazines, gift-wrap, see-through graphics, i phone covers, tiles and lampshades.
Kirath's wallpaper and surface pattern designs are inspired by a multitude of daily encounters, from a cocktail at her favourite bar, to capturing someone’s eclectic look, gathering snippets of sumptuous colour and pattern to work from. Exploring mismatched colour palettes and pushing boundaries to create original work, her designs are a fusion of all things ‘her’!
Kirath Graduated from Leeds College of Art in 2006 with a 1st Class BA (Hons) in surface pattern and textile design and went on to graduate from Huddersfield University with an MA in Textiles.
With only such a short time on the design scene, the inventive nature behind Kirath’s wallpapers led to a shortlisted nomination for the Homes and Garden Young Designer of the Year 2012 alongside scoring a nominated for the ELLE Decoration British Design Awards 2012. This year London Magazine has already graced her as a 'Rising Star of 2013'. Her wallpapers have achieved international recognition within major design press including ELLE Decoration worldwide, Mix, The Independent, The Observer and The Sunday Times to name a few.
As a practicing lecturer, Kirath is an advocate of business and enterprise within the creative field. She delivers lectures and workshops across the Institutions, sharing her specialist skills and knowledge.
Awards and Nominations
- London Magazine, Rising Star 2013
- ELLE Decoration British Design Award Nominee 2012
- Homes and Garden, joint runner up 'Young Designer of the Year' 2012
- Heart Home Design Awards, shortlisted best designer maker, 2012
- ELLE Decoration Treasure Trail, Mix 'n' Match 11 Wallpaper Collection scouted at 100% Design 2011
- CCAD - P/T HE Textiles and Surface Pattern Lecturer - Present
- External Panel Member - Validation for CCAD degree courses from University Arts Bournemouth, February 2013
- 100% Design Seminar 2012 - Designer Minds, Unlocking Creativity in the Everyday. Chaired by Anna Fielding, Editor of Emerald Street.
- Bolton University 2012
- Leeds College of Art
- Batley School of Art
- Leeds Metropolitan University
For any queries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Website Design Darlington | Copyright © 2013 Kirath Ghundoo